The Process of Angst: A Writer's Blog

Monday, January 22, 2007

Update #8

"Like Father, Like Son" is finished! I have no future plans to dapple in Myst fanfic again, but it was an interesting fandom to work with. The characters and situations are so refined...it was quite an exercise to write emotional scenes between people who don't readily show emotion.

Current Projects

#1 The Lonely Light (working title)
Type: original fantasy novel
Progress: still mostly on hold
Thoughts: I've had a few ideas about the order of events early on in the story, and I had a slightly humorous breakthrough with the prologue. I also changed a few things regarding the time period and the MC's mage training.
Likes: The car. That's all I will say.
Dislikes: the fact that other ideas for stories in universes that aren't mine are flowing better than this

#2 "Aftermath" (working title; sequel to "Colors of Grief")
Type: Harry Potter fanfiction, AU after the final battle with Voldemort
Yes, like bad movies in the summer, another fanfic sequel has popped up. I wrote "Colors of Grief" in late 2004-early 2005 as a sort of rebound story. I had just finished an extremely long Marauder-era fic about Remus, which drained a lot of my writing energy, and thusly I ended up resorting to the "Harry has a long-lost half-sibling" plot for my next story. The idea was interesting at the time, but I'm still not terribly happy with the results. However, the idea of a sequel was planted in my head by a couple of reviewers, and now that I've seriously considered it and started to write it down, it won't leave me alone.

Progress: prologue posted, chapter 1 in the works
Thoughts: I want this story to come out better than the original, which I realize is hard with sequels. I'm already liking the premise of this one better, so that's a start. Writing the initial explanation of what happened to everyone during and after the final battle is proving to be a little difficult, but I know what I want to write, so I just have to keep at it and edit a bit if it comes out odd the first time around.
Likes: The fact that this is set two years after "Colors of Grief" so that Aidan has had time to get to know people and can interact with them with familiarity. Also, the way humor seems to keep popping up of its own accord just at the right times.
Dislikes: The lack of Sirius. Normally, I'd work out some way to bring him back, but as much of the plot of the first story required him to be dead, I can't really do that without risking the whole thing turning into a soap opera. The fact that half the Order seems to already have been canonically out of commission or dead is a bit frustrating, too.

Quote of the Moment: "I could kill him rhetorically if you like!" ~ Colin, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio show, Quintessential Phase

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home